- About Us
- Chairman’s Welcome
- Events Calendar
- Contact Us
- News Archive
- Alumni News Submission
- Dr. James A. Vosswinkel Receives SBU Physicians Award for Excellence in Clinical Practice
- Our Trauma Service Ranks among the Best Statewide, Says 2012 Health Department Report
- Dr. Todd K. Rosengart Appointed Co-Editor of Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Dr. Todd K. Rosengart Leaving to Assume Leadership Role at Baylor College of Medicine
- First "TAVR" in Suffolk County Is Performed to Provide Treatment for Aortic Stenosis
- Introducing New Leaders for Cardiothoracic Surgery
- New Bariatric Surgery Inpatient Unit Is Opened — Specially Tailored to Accommodate and Benefit Patients
- Providing TAVR — Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement — to Treat Aortic Stenosis
- Texas Man Travels to Stony Brook for Minimally Invasive Salivary Gland Treatment
- Breast and Oncologic Surgery Division
- Cardiothoracic Surgery Division
- Colon and Rectal Surgery Division
- General Surgery Division
- Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Division
- Pediatric Surgery Division
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Division
- Upper Gastrointestinal and General Oncologic Surgery
- Vascular Surgery Division
- Patient Care
- Breast Surgery
- Burn Care
- Cardiac Surgery
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
- General Surgery
- Melanoma and Sarcoma Surgery
- Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery (ENT)
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Podiatric Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery
- Trauma/Surgical Critical Care
- Upper Gastrointestinal and General Oncologic Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
- > Patient Forms
- > Practice Locations
- > Preparing for Your Operation
- Residency & Fellowships
- Resident Resources
- Community Service
- Associate Professor of Surgery
- Director, General Surgery Residency
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine (1990)
- General Surgery, SUNY-Health Science Center at Brooklyn
- Pediatric Surgery, SUNY-Health Science Center at Brooklyn
Affiliated Specialty Center
- Surgical management of congenital and acquired anomalies/diseases of the neck, chest, abdomen, anorectum, and soft tissues in children (newborns to adolescents aged 17 years), including, but not limited to, congenital anomalies of the esophagus
- Necrotizing enterocolitis
- Inguinal hernias
- Undescended testes
- Tumors of the kidneys, adrenal glands, gastrointestinal tract, lymphatics, and soft tissues
- Surgical consultation in pediatric trauma
- Minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery
Division of Pediatric Surgery
Department of Surgery, Health Sciences Center T19-090
Stony Brook Medicine
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8191
Surgical Care Center
37 Research Way
East Setauket, NY 11733-3465
- Personal Statement
- I grew up around the corner from Stony Brook University and graduated from Sachem High School. To provide the most advanced treatments of congenital and acquired conditions to infants, children, and adolescents of Long Island is one of my life-long goals. This is what I look to do every day at University Hospital. As a surgical educator and the director of the residency program in general surgery here, I am committed to produce future American surgical leaders, the surgeons of tomorrow.
- Recipient of Aesculapius Award for Teaching (2011), School of Medicine, Stony Brook University
- Selected for inclusion in Guide to America's Top Surgeons published by the Consumers' Research Council of America
- Selected as “Man of the Year in Medicine” in 2006 by the Village Times Herald
- Elected to Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (2009)
- Azu MC, McCormack JE, Scriven RJ, Brebbia JS, Shapiro MJ, Lee TK. Venous thromboembolic events in pediatric trauma patients: is prophylaxis necessary? J Trauma 2005;59:1345-9.
- Blumer SL, Zucconi WB, Cohen HL, Scriven RJ, Lee TK. The vomiting neonate: a review of the ACR appropriateness criteria and ultrasound's role in the workup of such patients. Ultrasound Q 2004;20:79-89.
- Cacciarelli TV, Sumrani N, Scriven R, DiBenedetto A, Hong JH, Sommer BG. Influence of donor and recipient age on renal allograft survival time. Transplant Proc 1993;25:3140-2.
- Essani R, Scriven RJ, McLarty AJ, Merriam LT, Ahn H, Bergamaschi R. Simulated laparoscopic sigmoidectomy training: responsiveness of surgery residents. Dis Colon Rectum 2009;52:1956-61.
- Gilchrist BF, Scriven RJ, Lessin MS. Frequently encountered problems in pediatric surgery I: neonatal problems. Hospital Physician: General Surgery Board Review Manual. Vol. 4 (Part 1). Wayne, PA: Turner White, 1998.
- Gilchrist BF, Scriven RJ, Lessin MS. Frequently encountered problems in pediatric surgery II: older infants and children. Hospital Physician: General Surgery Board Review Manual. Vol. 4 (Part 2). Wayne, PA: Turner White, 1998.
- Gilchrist BF, Scriven R, Nguyen M, Nguyen V, Klotz D, Ramenofsky ML. Duplication of the vermiform appendix in gastroschisis. J Am Coll Surg 1999;189:426.
- Gilchrist BF, Scriven R, Sanchez J, Panetta T, Klotz D, Nguyen M, Ramenofsky ML. The application of vascular technology to esophageal and airway strictures. J Pediatr Surg 2002;37:47-9.
- Hu YY, Cohen HL, Scriven RJ. Picture of the month. Omental infarction. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2007;161:773-4.
- Kanu A, Tegay D, Scriven R. Bronchial anomalies in VACTERL association. Pediatr Pulmonol 2008;43:930-2.
- Rutigliano D, Egnor MR, Priebe CJ, McCormack JE, Strong N, Scriven RJ, Lee TK. Decompressive craniectomy in pediatric patients with traumatic brain injury with intractable elevated intracranial pressure. J Pediatr Surg 2006;41:83-7.
- Scriven RJ, Cirocco WC, Golub RW. Latex allergy—report of an anaphylactic reaction. Surgery 1995;117:350-2.
- Scriven RJ, Cooper B. Immunology of NEC. In: Gilchrist BF, editor. Necrotizing Enterocolitis. Georgetown, TX: Landes Bioscience, 2000.
- Taira BR, Fenton KE, Lee TK, Meng H, McCormack JE, Huang E, Singer AJ, Scriven RJ, Shapiro MJ. Ventilator-associated pneumonia in pediatric trauma patients. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2009;10:491-4.
- Valerie E, Gilchrist BF, Frischer J, Scriven R, Klotz DH, Ramenofsky ML. Diagnosis and treatment of urethral prolapse in children. Urology 1999;54:1082-4.
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS)